Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly Question: Chronos's Magic - What is its origin? Learned or Ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly Question: Chronos's Magic - What is its origin? Learned or Ancestry?

We all know that Chronos is the only living time mage in Alyncia, and those who have ran through the game have seen the scene where Chronos is practicing time magic over some crystals, and that he could only turn back time for 5 minutes. But one of the posts from last week got me thinking, Chronos is the only Time Mage in a millennia (who is known) in all of Alyncia. But how did he gain these powers? Is his magic partly originated from ancestry from the first Time Mage, or did he really learn everything on his own? As with every question, the winner gets 300 Time Crystals, if we get 5 posts we will crown a second place winner of 100 Time Crystals, and if we get 8 posts we will crown a random winner of 50 Time Crystals. So, without further ado, fire away!

We know that Chronos has admitted to having connections to the human world, and I think he mentioned researching human technology as well, so it seems likely he found information about time magic in the research he did.

Comment

My first theory is that I think Chronos gained these power by learning it himself and partly from ancestry from the first time mage. Maybe he realized he has the power to control time at some age through accident, and i'm sure he has an atavism from the first time mage, because if he didn't, helena timecrest would have the power to control time and reverse time when ash's hand got scarred. He then do researches and practice and grew in power.

My other theory is that he gained this power from an old tome written by the first time mage and how he got the ability to control time. Then, inside the tome, he found a map to the chronogem and how to draw time magic from it.

Another theory is that he found a tome about orbs and saw the chronogem in the tome and it's last known location. Then he do some research on the location and found it and drew the power from it.

Comment

• ChristineMoon
        ChristineMoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to the forum, arkhan! Great theory, and here's to hoping you stick around to share more insights (not only because I love a busy board, and the more posters we have, the more winners we get). Good luck.

I know that last week, I mentioned Chronos had learnt time magic and wasn't using time crystals, but that was just assumption (and it made the theory look better in my opinion)

The question this week is if the time magic is from ancestry, or from learning it himself.
      What if, the answer this week, is both?

I never really thought of any magic as a DNA thing, I always saw it as random, but when I think about it, it makes sense, Scarlet and Sol Ignis were brother and sister, and were both good Fire mages, Alan and Roger are brothers, and they're both good water mages, so it would be easy to see affinities as some type of gene, like something that runs in the family.

But having the magic in your DNA doesn't mean you would already be able to do it, mages still have to learn the magic themselves. As for why there might not be so many time mages if the magic worked like this, well maybe they never knew they could use time magic. Or tying into my theory from last week, (which was that you need time crystals for time magic) maybe they just never had the means of getting it.

However, somehow, young Luthor found some time crystals (or potentially created) and found out how to use them to learn time magic for himself, maybe even experimenting with them further to strengthen his magic as he kept growing older.

Comment

• South
        South commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, Chronos real name is Luthor "Timecrest", so DNA or ancestry thing make sense to me.

• Nyctofrost
        Nyctofrost commented
        Editing a comment
        JohnnyValdezi, happy early bronze! You're just a few posts away.

• JohnnyValdezi
        JohnnyValdezi commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed. Soon I will be participating in the trials.

Lots of spoilers here, and I wish I had unlocked more of the Ezra memories- I'm up to "king". I considered that Ezra could be an ancestor, but I believe the first Mage is Janus'/ Riley's ancestor. And the long-standing human/ Alyncian vendetta leaves another possiblity. Chronos could be related to Alvin instead. Alvin was human, similar to Chronos. While humans don't have magic nowadays, (see my theory on technology replacing it), they clearly had crystals and magic at some point in the past.

We see in Chapter 10, a very young Chronos practicing time magic, a combination of his natural inherited skills with a strong magical artifact. I say this because if a common item such as a feather can teach Levitas, imagine what a time altering item can do in the hands of a time mage. Any spell drawn from it would be very powerful. And with a few years of practice, he could very well freeze time in the sky.

This brings another twist in my thoughts- We know from chapter 5 that Chronos' time magic was weakened. But then how could he stop the meteors- a fire based magic, cast by the all-powerful first Mage? I am convinced that Ash is a dual Mage- with both time and fire skills. We see similar abilities in families (Alan/ Roger, Olliver/ AC). Although Chronos' time abilities were weakened, he may have a fire ability as well. Why do I believe this? We've seen Ash learn Incendiatas. We know that he shares physical traits/ family history with Sol Ignis, the fire master. Only the combination of both would be enough to control the meteors, which is why no single-type Mage could do it. Now the only question left is why Ezra holds the vendetta. That theory goes very off topic from this question. I will leave it as saying that I believe the answer lies in how their family history became dual-magic , and that we will keep impatiently waiting for part 3 for a few more answers, and many more questions.

Comment

• Nyctofrost
        Nyctofrost commented
        Editing a comment
        ChristineMoon, happy early bronze. You're just a few posts away!

• ChristineMoon
        ChristineMoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Nyctofrost, I'm dedicating this 50th/ Bronze post to you.

I knew my inability to shut up would get me something one day. lol.

• JohnnyValdezi
        JohnnyValdezi commented
        Editing a comment
        Comments don't count as posts. At least as far as I know

By the way, Ben, is there a reward for the winner?

Comment

• JohnnyValdezi
        JohnnyValdezi commented
        Editing a comment
        In every post, Ben says "The winner will receive 300 time crystals, if we get 5 posts, then we will have a second place winner who gets 100 time crystals, and if we get 8 then a random participant gets 50 time crystals"

Not word for word, but it's close.

• ChristineMoon
        ChristineMoon commented
        Editing a comment
        And the satisfaction of winning. 😉

• black mage arkhan
        black mage arkhan commented
        Editing a comment
        okay thanks

I would say both. Many people who are related have the exact same magic, just like Johnny said. Also, Ash said the time magic was pretty rare. A normal mage can't practice time magic either, because of Sol Ignis's astonishment when you froze time. Furthermore, only time mages can move in a plane of frozen time, shown on Mount Asura in chapter four. We know time magic isn't normal. In the flashbacks in chapter 10, Chronos asks his father, Julius, if they were really going to share their family's power with the Valdorian King, Janus. Julius Timecrest has to be descended from a time mage, based on that he helped make the Chronogem and as some power behind his ancestry.

However, Chronos might be the first time mage who can perform time magic. Ash tells us that the Chronogem might be the only thing mages can draw time magic out of. Unlike his ancestors who used time crystals, he was able to use magic. This is probably because of his lineage with Helena Timecrest, an Alyncian mage. Since all of Chronos' ancestors are mostly human or came from the human world, we know human mages aren't very good at spells. If Chronos was descended from Alvin, Alvin would be fully human so this theory would work. Alvin might have gone back to the human world and continued his life there, until Julius came back to Alyncia and Chronos was born.

It might seem like I'm stealing ideas, but I thought of this theory but never had time to type it. I first thought of Chronos being descended from Alvin in a post long time ago, the thread where my first post was.
      Last edited by Nyctofrost; 03-25-2017, 08:19 AM. Reason: Had to add spoiler tags again.

Comment

• ChristineMoon
        ChristineMoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Siiiggghhh... Yeah, I think this one has my vote again.

Did you mean Sol Ignis, or Ezra?

• Nyctofrost
        Nyctofrost commented
        Editing a comment
        You could say both. During Roger's path, after you freeze time, Ignis gets pretty astonished. I forgot to mention Ezra in the post.

• Nyctofrost
        Nyctofrost commented
        Editing a comment
        The more times I lose, the funner this gets.

Congratulations to this weeks winner Nyctofrost and to our second place winner ChristineMoon! You will both be receiving 300 and 100 Time Crystals respectively. Really great to see some new faces (or usernames) this week, and I am looking forward to seeing all of you back here next week!!!

Comment

JohnnyValdezi I'm dedicating this 50th post to you, for pointing out that comments don't count towards your total posts. (Even though I tried to dedicate it to Nyctofrost first).

Comment

Working...
        X