Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly Question: Time Magic- The power of the pocket watch or ourselves? Ends 3-20-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly Question: Time Magic- The power of the pocket watch or ourselves? Ends 3-20-17

So many questions can be raised regarding our powers in Alyncia. How did we get these powers? Did we have them before? Where do they come from? Time magic is incredibly rare, yet the pocket watch was owned by the very man who can manipulate time. Chronos had already been experimenting with Time Magic by the time he terminated the Nexutas spell. But was the watch an object of his experimentations? Did these abilities carry over to us? So many questions. As with every question, the top theory gets 300 Time Crystals, if we get 5 posts we will have a second place prize of 100 Time Crystals, and with 8 we will have a random prize of 50 Time Crystals. So now, without further ado, fire away!

I think the magic come from Alyncia, not our world. Magic works when something from earth come to Alyncia and being used by Alyncian or when they doing trance. We as human can't draw a spell from things around us. Ash drew a spell with bomb from our world. He also have the pocket watch and the apple (I think both of them from our world) and he can drew a spell from the apple. With nexutas, Ash connected to us. Like Ezra said to Ash, we are exception. I think somehow we use Ash power to do time magic with the pocket watch, but never with ourselves power.
    Last edited by South; 03-18-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• JohnnyValdezi
      JohnnyValdezi commented
      Editing a comment
      But if you make a theory, then we can get a second place winner.

• South
      South commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I'll give it a try.

Grab a coffee and a seat, this will take a minute to get through...

Humans have had the ability to manipulate time but it was manifested differently through technology. Whether it's examining ancient civilizations, astronomy to view stars that burned out centuries before the light stopped reaching us, cryogenics to freeze eggs (and eventually people) until a later date, or heck, even the ability to fly from east to west and land at an earlier time.

Unfortunately, the focus was on concrete science, not on abilities, and so humans lost the skills. However, Chronos naturally acquired these skills (perhaps from a human and Alyncian parent?), and so he was able to bond with a human with similar traits (on the other side of the watch).

The watch could be a human artifact, or based off of one, and combined with Alynican Magic. Therefore it is strong enough to control time, but only for the person who possessed it. This is why Ash cannot bring back the dead, only be saved him/herself.

We have reason to believe similar magic runs in families. Look at the Cranes' and the Mendenhalls' abilities. It is reasonable to believe that Ash is capable of time magic, and his (her) possession of the watch is what allows for time change. And so, when Chronos terminated the Nexutas spell, he terminated the human's ability to communicate and possibly use time magic, as well as our ability to remember (part of the spell?). But when Ash picked it up, his/ her (unknown) ability to use time magic sparked the communication again.

Chapter 10 spoilers:
    Further, I believe that Ignis may have followed Ash for his/ her entire life. He was there when Ash explored the cave as a child. He knew Ash by Ash's eyes, a trait possibly shared by Ash's mother. But he points out that it was only recently that Chronos found Ash. When did it happen? After Ash touched the watch. It wasn't that a "someone used human technology" flag went up, it was specifically the spell that Chronos cast coming back. And speaking of families, is it a coincidence that after using time magic shared with Chronos, a descendant of the violet eyes woman pictured with Sol Ignis learned Incendiatas?)

To answer the final question, the abilities did not truly transfer to us. Similar to the way humans have never learned to fly, but found a means to do it (from planes to hang gliders), we have never possessed the ability to change time, simply found a means to make it happen.

Comment

• JohnnyValdezi
      JohnnyValdezi commented
      Editing a comment
      What's with all these posts I find that make me feel like I have no chance. It's rather saddening.

• ElleMaylise
      ElleMaylise commented
      Editing a comment
      woooo great theory! very interesting RE incendiatas spoiler, had not thought of that!

• ChristineMoon
      ChristineMoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Give it a go anyway, Johnny. You've had some great theories that really made me think harder about the game.

And besides... More theories= more winners.

I've easily spent the last half hour making a theory, one that would always be debunked by Master Chronos.
    However, I finally cracked it.

Chronos, the Master of time, he kept debunking my theory because of one reason. He can do time magic by himself. However, this is different from our magic, because he learnt his magic. In Chapter 2, if you report the Hooded Man to Petora, she reveals that the Chronogem is the only known artefact that allows people to draw time magic from it.

I wonder how you think this fits into my theory, well, let me explain. There's three known people who can cast time magic, Alvin , Chronos, and you, the player. Alvin and you are different from Chronos, while Chronos has learnt his magic, you and Alvin use it by a different means, through time crystals.

Recently, time crystals have been discovered (I'm still calling the Timecrest developers geniuses for predicting it.) and they've been described as "...the crystal breaking symmetry in time, pulsing at its own rate..." which would explain why time crystals would allow us and Alvin to manipulate time, the crystals are working differently from time itself, allowing us to manipulate it, I guess you can call it a long shot, but I don't mind. And while yes, you could argue that the time crystals can't even leave labs yet, but I have a counter idea to that, obviously, these crystals are not of our world, we would have been aware of them much sooner, but they haven't been discovered until recently in Alyncia as well. I think these crystals are created by the link between Earth and Alyncia, which would explain why Alvin would have obtained them when he arrived , and how we learn of them as soon as we connect to Ash.

So in other words, it's not the pocket watch that creates our ability of time magic. It's the time crystals, created by this link between worlds, a link that always has to be maintained.
    Last edited by JohnnyValdezi; 03-15-2017, 02:31 PM. Reason: Potentially removed all Alvin spoils

Comment

• JohnnyValdezi
      JohnnyValdezi commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh shoot. Sorry, I keep forgetting not everyone's getting as lucky as I have been wiht Ezra memories. Thanks.

• Ben
      Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      One question Johnny. How do we know, like truly know that Chronos learned his magic? His experiments show that he worked on it, but like a lot of stuff in Timecrest, all may not be what it seems. Just food for thought

• JohnnyValdezi
      JohnnyValdezi commented
      Editing a comment
      I wondered that too, we never see him have these, but that doesn't mean he doesn't.

This one is hard! Not as creative of a response but here goes:

Essentially, magic is not from our world, or humans just can't use magic. However, this doesn't mean our world doesn't have magic - for example in Nightshade forest Ash being able to draw Incendiatas from a human bomb and Master Frost allegedly consuming human items to help with her water magic (Chapter 9 guild library scene).

The pocket watch which may be a human artifact or based off one was imbued with time magic by Chronos where time magic was probably drawn from the Chronogem.

While humans have used technologies and science to advance - in this way, the mind has projected these things outwardly to be actioned by our hands whereas magic in Ash's world seems to be more of an inward reflection of the mind, for example on early Mt Asura the inward trance state that Ezra helped Ash with which led to Gravitas Magnus .

eh I think I should add more but I can't word it yet..

Comment

The power comes from your pocket watch.
      My first piece of evidence comes from the Chapter 10 flashbacks. After the flashback with the tale of how the scar formed on Ash's hand, we had this line from Chronos (or approximately): "I can only turn back five minutes at a time and now I've scarred Ash forever!" After that Julius says that some mistakes should not be erased. Luthor then drops the pocket watch (and I think) runs off. Julius then picks it up and starts modifying it. Now we already know that Luthor once used that pocket watch to manipulate time.
      How does the human on the other side manipulate time instead of the Alyncian though? This might as well be an effect of Julius's modifications.
      Second, (this one is very vague thought) time crystals might as well be in the building of the pocket watch. Why? The blue glyphs/dust (I don't have a good memory) danced around the pocket watch. Why not green? Yellow? White? Why blue? As I studied the "title screen"(the one with a picture of a girl and a boy) the girl is holding the Chronowand . As Cowbunny said in the new master of fire comments, the story can go one way or another with both of Ash's genders. What is on the title screen? A boy and a girl. The boy looks like he is casting Incendiatas -with a sword sticking out of the ground on his left. Is this a coincidence, or is that A.C's sword? For the girl on the right, a wilting flower might as well symbolize Riley's death, she loved flowers, didn't she? The Chronogem can also freeze time as seen in the plane of frozen time on Mount Asura.
      Lastly, Ezra mentions in one path that no human has ever casted magic in the other world. He says this is an exception. Humans can't naturally do it, so they must do it in artificial means. What about the pocket watch on Ash's hand?
      Nexutas creates a link between you and the human world, Nexutas Ultimus also creates a gate. It is pretty much safe to say when Ash cast Nexutas on the pocket watch, the magic also went to you.

Comment

• ChristineMoon
        ChristineMoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Great theory. My original one started like this, but I decided to try a different route. Needless to say, I love it.

Congratulations to our first place winner ChristineMoon and to our second place winner JohnnyValdezi! I will be messaging you on how to claim your time crystals. Everyone, great theories this week, and I am looking forward to seeing your excellent theories next week!!!

Comment

• ChristineMoon
        ChristineMoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much! I just love being part of the board, and letting my crazy theories be heard. But winning is even more of a bonus. I'm so happy. And
        JohnnyValdezi, I'm glad to share the win with you. Great theory!

• JohnnyValdezi
        JohnnyValdezi commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I could've said it better, for me, these theories are all about sharing our thoughts on a topic, whether it be far fetched or totally logical. And I like sharing these theories every week. They help make me think and besides, winning is always a bonus
        Good job ChristineMoon good job indeed.
        Last edited by JohnnyValdezi; 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM. Reason: Spelling fix
    Working...
    X